Friday, August 21, 2009

Books I need to read + other comments

1. Cradle to Cradle by Michael Braungart

2. Natural Capitalism by Paul Hawken

3. Plan B 3.0 by Lester R. Brown

4. $20 Per Gallon: How the Inevitable Rise in the Price of Gasoline Will Change Our Lives for the Better by Christopher Steiner

This is the short list right now. I'm currently in the middle of reading 2 other books, so I'm not about to engage myself in 3. Looking at the seriousness of these titles makes me realize I'm getting old; or maybe I'm finally starting to figure out my place and how I can make a difference. Naaa! I'm not really that philosophical, I must be getting old. It's just getting harder and harder for me to keep interested in books that are carbon copies of previously written books. Sure, the character development is a little different, the plot make twist "unexpectedly" every now and again. But the unpredictable nature of sitcom books as I like to call them is predictable.

I'm recently read a Thomas Friedman book (well, most of it before I lost it somewhere : ) ) and Auden Schendler's Getting Green Done - which was a very engaging and somewhat frustrating read. Only frustrating because I can relate to so many of the obstacles to overcome and I am not in a powerful enough position to change policy. Books like this are opening my eyes up to a new America which is quickly marching itself into the new dark ages. Everyone is so caught up in the now that they forget that in 10 or 20 years some of the choices they make, or do not make or going to be severely impacting the climate, culture, and economy of this country. But this is America, home of the fat and out of shape, and I may start adding apathetic to my favorite descriptive gibberish of this country. But I don't have time to write about apathy right now, I can only control what I do anyway. But it could snowball for a while...maybe next time.

No comments: